George Mason Outlasts Women's Basketball

Nov. 14, 2017

Final Stats

BALTIMORE - George Mason outscored the Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team 16-8 in the final six minutes of play to pull away with an 80-72 win.

Loyola (1-1 overall) and George Mason (1-1) were tied 64-64 entering the final six minutes of play until George Mason pulled ahead with a 3-pointer by Sarah Kaminski. The Patriots extended their lead to seven, 71-64, with back-to-back layups before CaLee Gelbaugh's pair of free throws at the 3:53 mark halted their run.

Delaney Connolly answered George Mason's layup with a pair of free throws to keep the Greyhounds within five, at 73-68. Alexis Gray's jumper with 55 seconds on the clock again pulled Loyola within five, but that would be as close as the Greyhounds would get. George Mason would go on to score five of the last seven points, en route to an 80-72 victory.

Izzy Therien and Gray would lead the Greyhounds with 16 points each while Stephanie Karcz put up 12 points. Karcz and Therien also led the team in rebounds with eight and six, respectively. Bri Betz-White finished with eight points and a game-high six assists.

George Mason's Nicole Cardano-Hillary lead all players with 23 points while Natalie Butler contributed a double-double of 20 points and a game-high 12 rebounds.

George Mason broke away with an early 10-point lead, holding a 16-6 advantage at the 1:23 mark of the first quarter. The Greyhounds outscored the Patriots 25-18 through the second quarter though and saw themselves trailing by one, 36-35, at the end of the half.

Gray's 3-pointer to open second half play gave Loyola its first lead at 38-36. The Patriots responded with five-straight points to regain the lead but points from Gray, a 3-pointed by Molly Taylor, and a layup by Betz-White pushed Loyola ahead by four, 45-41. Butler would quickly respond for the Patriots but a pair of free throws from Madeline McDonald and a layup by Karcz would give Loyola its largest lead of the game.

That wouldn't be enough to quiet George Mason as the Patriots worked to tie the game at 51-51 with 2:20 to play in the third quarter. At 1:39, Stephanie Karcz regained the Greyhounds' momentum with a steal and quick layup to put Loyola ahead, 53-51.

From there, the two teams traded leads and shared five more tied scores before the Patriots broke the final 64-64 stalemate.

The Greyhounds return to action on Thursday as they host Georgetown University at 7 p.m.

- Torie Smith-Israel '18



Shop Now at
the Official Store
Official Auctions